Friday, October 1, 2010

And I'm Back...For Real

All week, the weather has been beautiful, amazing, almost Spring like, which in Southeast Texas, we don't get in September. Usually it goes from core of the earth hot to mildly cold (for us Texans, that's anything below 70), with wind and cloudy weather. So, to get Springlike weather this time of year, i.e., sunny, blue skies, light humidity, and 80 degree weather, well is a miracle. I wanted to run all week, but Jodi kept canceling on me due to work. And by the time I drove the ingested highways from my now new (at least) 1 hour drive home, I'm tired; I just want to lay on the couch. I have stayed away from beer though (during the week). Plus, I just bought Glee, the first season and I'm completely addicted.

Okay, back to my point. Last night, Jodi and I finally met up at Memorial Park to do a 3 mile run (1 lap). I was worried about this run, because last time I tried to run a mile, it didn't go so well (see last post). But I was determined last night and the weather gave me new hope. Jodi got her schedule changed, so that we can meet early, which meant that there was actually parking when I got there, lots of parking. She actually got there much earlier than myself (unbeknownst to me) and did 1 lap around the park in her toe shoes. We did some serious stretching and I for sure stretched out my back. We walked to her car and then just a little bit of the way before we started running. This was the first time we started running earlier in the lap.

We ran a full 1.5 miles without stopping. She even showed me how she wanted me to start running when I get up to speed again. We talked about her competing next year in Nationals and well, everything. I actually didn't feel like we ran 1.5 miles, but then she started to complain about her right toe in those new toe shoes. I was feeling pain in my bottom right back (thought I got it with the stretching). Finally, we got to a point where we needed to rest, because her toe and my back was just bothering us too much. So, we walked and walked and walked. We did pick up the run again, but quickly stopped. Her toe was really bad. Even I felt like running more, but she had stopped for me on so many occasions to deal with my injuries (old age is a bitch!), so it didn't bother me. We mostly walked the 3 miles around the park, but it felt good to exercise.

The best part of last night was the temperature combined with running. I had noticed that on the run, I felt that I had more energy. I felt like I could run so much more when previous runs during the summer, I felt like I could barely make half a mile. It felt empowering in a way. When we got done and stretched, I didn't feel like I ran a marathon. I felt like I could keep on running. I was sweating and hot, but I didn't feel like death had just touched my heart and said, "Okay, maybe next time, I will get you, but I'll let you live just this once." I drove home with my convertible top down (don't get many days to do this, because it's either too hot or too rainy) to meet my husband for some celebratory beer. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Don't judge me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.