Friday, April 15, 2011

Not a Fan of Treadmills

So, I have come to realize that I'm just not a fan of treadmills. I would rather run on the open road or trail instead of being in a stuffy small gym trying to run. I like the breathing the air outside. What I have noticed is that I am constantly watching the distance, time, calories, etc. when I'm on a treadmill. This makes it hard to let go and just run. It also makes it easier for those personal outside thoughts to creep in constantly.

I had a rough night again and was up at 4 a.m. this morning. I tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't do it. So, I said screw it and went down to the gym at 5:10 a.m. I figured I could work on some of this stress and try to clear my mind. What I found was my boss working out. Great, now I have to prove to this big time Army guy that I'm not weak. It didn't work out that well.

I stretched and this time, I did a pre-run walk at 1% incline, 3.0 speed, and for 0.10 of a mile. I started off strong at a speed of 5.5 until about 0.35 of a mile. I decreased the speed to 5.0, at 0.50 of a mile, I increased the speed to 6.1. I ran at that speed until I reached 0.60 and then I had to walk. I decreased the speed to 3.5 so that I could walk until 0.80 and then I went back up to 5.5. At some point, I went back to 3.5 for a quick walk and then I moved it back up to 6.2 for the last tenth of a mile. At 1.10, I stopped for my cooldown walk at 3.0 speed. I walked until I reached 1.25 miles. I burned 132.4 calories in 17 minutes. I finished the run in 14 minutes (which includes the pre-run walk...so really a 12 minute mile).

I was quickly exhausted and hot and I just couldn't get in to run. I felt sluggish, which is probably due to the lack of sleep (4 hours...maybe). However, even though I didn't run a full mile, I was able to work on intervals of increased speed. Hell, I haven't ran at over 6.0 speed in a long time. This will eventually do better for my endurance level. And I will continue to do that type of running on treadmills to not only help me, but to help avoid the distracted mind.

After the run, I did 3 sets of 20 squats using the 7.5 lb weights and 3 sets of 20 shoulder curls in between each squat. I did 2 sets of 20 for each arm of this new workout that I saw online. I have my knee on the bench, my back is straight, and I do a row type move with the 7.5 lb weight. I then did 2 sets of 20 reverse lunges using the 7.5 lb weight. I upped the weights to 10 lbs to do 3 sets of 20 of this great arm workout (the weights dip behind your head), helps the chicken scratch under your arms. I then did 50 crunches, 30 side crunches each (turning my torso), and 20 situps (which eventually turned in to half situps that I think is better for your stomach). I think did 4 sets of 25 scissor ab workout. I felt good, but not what I usually feel after a workout. I'm usually euphoric afterwards, but I have too much going on in my head.

On a side note, I did 50 crunches, 30 side crunches, and 20 situps yesterday morning.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good workout after the treadmill - I never do weights or work on muscles, and I really should.

    I fiddle with the speed/incline of the treadmill to- I'm so bored and that's one thing I can focus on. What I've learnt is to throw a towel over the stats and listen to a podcast and not check it, or stop, until the podcast is done. It helps me zone out a bit more :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.