Monday, April 4, 2011

My Mind's Playing Tricks on Me

My goal was to run a mile both on Saturday and Sunday in my neighborhood (my normal 1.4 mile run that I have done before many times). However, on Saturday, I wasn't feeling it and just ran on Sunday. I almost didn't run on Sunday, but like a robot, I got dressed without thinking and started stretching before I headed out the door. I started to walk behind my house when I ran in to this teenager smoking and remembered how I used to do that when I was a teenager (sorry mom if you read this). I walked around the gazebo for my warmup and saw an old man on his rollerblades. I wished right then and there that I had roller skates. I wondered if my ankle could handle roller skates and do they still sell them.

When I reached the sidewalk, I started to run. I tried to at least work on my stride this time to try to make a difference, but sometimes, it was just hard. I ran all the way to the turnaround point and kept on going until I reached the end of the fence before I stopped to walk. When I got to the next stop sign, I picked up the run until I got passed the circle and to the second light pole (on our street). I walked the rest of the way, around the gazebo again, and headed back to the house. I at least ran a mile, but I'm not sure exactly. I forgot to put on my watch, so I'm not sure how much time I spent out there either.

I had 2 songs running through my mind (since my ipod is officially broken and it totally sucks running alone without your ipod): Rihanna's Why is Everything So Complicated and Ghetto Boys' My Mind is Playing Tricks On me. I'm not sure about Rihanna, but it seemed to fit, but Ghetto Boys made me think. The mind does play tricks on you and like I have wrote before, can count you out before you start. And it did. I was already waivering on actually running and I planted in my head that I would just make it to the turnaround point (I went passed it though) before I stopped to walk. My breathing was getting eratic and I tried to calm it and my mind, but it wouldn't stop. So, I felt depleted. The mind can make you exhausted. I kept singing that song to try to trick my mind in to thinking it was chugging a beer on the couch watching Final Four instead of running. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

When I got done and relaxed for 5 minutes, I put in Jackie's Extreme Abs DVD for alittle extra workout. I'm feeling it this morning. If you ever get a chance to watch this video, do it. It's worth the money. In the little amount of time, she works your abs good. I need to get in to a routine of doing this workout every day, if possible. I can't today, because I am heading somewhere to watch the NCAA Championship.

On a side note, I did 50 crunches, 30 side crunches each, and 30 squats (using Jackie's version of squats) this morning. I plan to run tomorrow at Memorial Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.