Thursday, July 8, 2010

Girls Just Wanna...Kill Jillian

Well, Texas has been hit with a hurricane, tropical storm development, and rain weather for the last two weeks. Yesterday was no different. The rain actually started earlier in the day. So, by 2 p.m., I was texting the girls (by now my wolfpack has grown to three with Mal and Jodi) to tell them that I will text them when I get home to see what weather was like in my area and possibly think about making alternative plans to running (I'm not in to running in the rain like Jodi). I would still be cooking dinner and we could do one of my workout videos. The girls decided to not waste a day and well, by 7 something p.m., we were in our workout clothes in front of the TV ready to start.

Oh Jillian Michaels (if you don't know her, she's the drill sergeant wannabe from Biggest Loser)...I love you and I hate you. I would pay gobs of money to have you train me for a week, but I might just kill you in the end. Doing one of your video workouts is just a taste of how much you will torture me live. I remembered using this video when I first started working out (long before I decided to run a half marathon). It took me three times to actually complete this 40 Minute Fat Burning Metabolism DVD. It's a hard workout. Her stretches and warmup are just...well, I was already heaving after the first set. Oh and you do two sets of each section (usually about four moves). She also talks alot and she just moves on to the next exercise without a thought, without a break. Her idea of a break is doing crunches, because you get to lay on the floor. I see you looking at me with those beady eyes and saying in your manly voice, "Good job." You don't know that I'm doing a good job.

So, the three of us girls huddle in my living room and sweated it up to as much as we could do. The only thing that sucked was the fact that the dog hair was all over the floor and when our sweaty bodies touched the carpet, the hair stuck to everything. UGH! Normally, I would use my new yoga mat (birthday present from Mal), but I only had one. I would take one for the team and just suffer. I believe there were six total workouts, but we only made it to four. When we started the cross country skier, I heard my knee pop. It was not a pretty sound and the girls heard it, too. I stopped all moves from then on out and the girls said that they were okay with a break. I believe Mal was the most excited to get this workout done as quick as possible. When I went to pause it, I accidentally turned it off (seriously, I did) and that was a sign that it was time to just end it. My knee was sore. I still felt out of breath and like my body got a full workout. I was happy and the girls were, too. This is by far the best workout video I have done. If you want something that will kick your butt all the way to Canada and leave you totally sore in the morning (and maybe the next three days), then by God, pick up a copy. Jillian gets paid the big bucks for a reason.

Afterwards, I made spaghetti. I was supposed to make healthy chicken with steamed rice and veggies, but I didn't have time. Work and life gets in the way. So, I made the spaghetti as healthy as I could, which I do anyways. For the main part, I used whole grain pasta, EVOO, carrots, tomato paste, spaghetti seasoning packets, and other spices. I made a salad with spinach, pecans, apples, cucumbers, carrots, and strawberry basalmic (new for me and oh so decilicious). Todd made some french bread with only a teaspoon of light butter. Yummm....Top that!

Next time we do the exercise and meal, it will be at Jodi's house.

I'm not sure if we are going to run today, because of my knee and the weather is already ugly out there. Go away rain!

1 comment:

  1. I love, Love, LOVE Jillian. Really. I have two other DVDs of her's. 30 Day Shred and her double DVD "Shape Up Front/Shape Up Back". Yep, she totally kicks your butt, and if you stop, she will make you feel guilty. BEST thing I have ever done with the quickest most visible results.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.