Sunday, April 8, 2012

It's Been a Week of Running

I'm finally back to my running self albeit much bigger and slower, but back. So, to celebrate, I spent the week running (not everyday, of course).

It started on Monday when I got some horrible news and needed to basically run it out. And run it out I did at Hermann Park. It felt so good do just do that for a change. I plugged in my ipod and went for it...very slowly. I did the short loop (1.5 miles). It was more or less a walk to warmup, run slowly, and walk again. I couldn't do the full mile without stopping, but at least I was running. When Florence and The Machine's No Light, No Light came on, I felt rejuvenated. The lyrics stirred something inside me, matching my mood perfectly. I started running faster on the last stretch all the way to the stopping point by my car. I roughly burned 167 calories (still working on fixing this Nike + ipod app). I didn't even feel my ankle; I didn't feel anything, but better. And that's how running should be for everyone.



On a side note:  This song should have been in the Hunger Games movie. It is so right for Katniss and Peta, especially in the cave. I mean one of the lyrics is "I never knew daylight could be so violent." Is that not perfect for when they get let off the platforms for the first time and there is a lot of death right away? Yeah, I thought so, too.

This week, I headed back to Grand Junction for work. I was determined to exercise at the hotel even though I was run down, because I really needed it. Thursday morning, I did 50 crunches, 2 sets of 30 second bicycle crunches, and 2 sets of 30 second planks (yay! my ankle is strong enough to support the plank). After work, I headed to the hotel gym. I wanted to take a break on my ankle by riding the stationary bike, but someone beat me to the only bike in the gym. So, I got on the treadmill. I set the incline to 1, powered on the TV, and just started walking to 0.10 miles at 2.5 speed. I bumped it up to 4 and ran until I reached 0.60. From then on, I don't really remember where I stopped and started. I did stop running around 1.5 miles and walked until I reached 2 miles. I was pretty happy with going longer than I have before since I started exercising again. I burned almost 200 calories (wished I had walked a little bit more so that I did actually reach 200). Afterwards, I did 25 arm dip thingys behind my head (15 lb dumbbell), 3 sets of 10 butterfly arm raises (5 lb dumbbell), and 3 sets of 10 shoulder curls (same weight). This was a whole day of exercising. Go me!

On Saturday, I woke up early and headed to Hermann Park, but this time, I brought along Remington. It's been awhile since my baby boy and I had a good run together. I walked more than usual at the start to get his bathroom and initial smelling out of the way. I didn't want to take a risk of having him stop and yank me back, which could cause injury to my already weak ankle. We ran the short 1.5 mile loop and I'm proud to say that I mostly ran it. There were 4 stops total:  3 for Remi and 1 for me to fix the music. I swear, if anyone is using the Nike + ipod app and knows how to turn on the music shuffle, please let me know. It's killing me. I don't want to listen to the same order of songs every single time I run. I could tell that Remi wasn't used to the running. He dragged towards the end, but that's okay. I will get him back in shape just like me. I burned roughly 210 calories. After I got home, I played catch with Lady (arm workout). I also did 50 crunches, 2 sets of 30 second bicycle crunches, and 2 sets of 30 second planks. However, that night, I went to the Astros Opening Weekend Saturday game. We had box seats behind homeplate, which included free desserts...lots of desserts. Everything I lost running was put back on in full force. But it was worth it! Great game, great night with Jules, Susan, and Dan, great drinks. Thanks y'all!

Then, Sunday came. I thought I wasn't going to run this morning, but I did. It's a holy day. I woke up earlier than expected, grabbed Remi, and headed back to Hermann Park. I love running at this park. I decided against using the Nike + ipod app, because I wanted to shuffle my songs. We started the 1.5 mile short loop with walking the entire Ke$ha's Tik Tok song (I'm aware this is not Grammy worthy). I don't know why, but this song is my favorite warmup walk song, especially in the morning after a great night. I let Remi get his business done before I picked up the run. I also increased the speed a skoch and tried to focus on my breathing. My runs have been somewhat sloppy and full of fast, heavy breathing. So, I made a mental note to breathe in 1, 2, 3, and breathe out 1, 2, 3. I stopped 2 or 3 times for Remi, but I pretty much ran the entire way. I felt good, real good. And I have decided to step up my next run to the entire 1.98 loop instead of just doing the short 1.5 mile loop. Soon, I will be riding up there on my new bike, running, and then biking back home. I so need to lose this weight and get in shape! Also, I did 50 crunches, 2 sets of 30 second bicycle crunches, and 2 sets of 30 second planks.

If you haven't heard, I'm running in the MD Anderson Sprint for Life 5k on May 5, 2012. It's my first real race back. I'm doing this in honor of the Allen sisters' mother who died of Ovarian Cancer. I also found out that my Great Aunt Betty died of Ovarian Cancer, which means that I'm also running for her. If you can, please donate on my page or you can join our team in the run/walk.

By the way, HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well, we now know where you have been. Nice song but weird video. Don't forgot about the Government on April 15!

    Glad the "little man" is out running again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a weird video. So, just listen to the song.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.