Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Challenge: 5 Minute Planks a Day

Elizabeth and I were going to be less than covered in the stomach area for the Hot Undies Run. Right before we were about to leave, we did some planks to somehow magically tone our stomachs...like that would help. Elizabeth told me about how her gym did 10 minutes planks a day as a challenge. This peaked my interest, but I didn't think I could do 10 minutes. I told her that I could realistically do five minutes.

And so the challenge took form. We decided to do five minute planks a day for the month of July. I'm already doing 2 sets of 30 second planks everyday as part of my PT for my back. This will also help me build an awesome core and train for the Spartan Beast Race.

That's how I look in the morning.
Because I have been dealing with this awful sickness, I just didn't have the energy to start yesterday on July 1. But that's okay. We are going to be different. From July 2 to August 2, Elizabeth and I will take on this challenge of planking five minutes a day. I've already done two minutes this morning and I plan to do 1-2 minutes during lunch and 1-2 minutes before I go to bed.

Who's going to join us in this quest for a great core? You don't have to do five minutes, especially if you haven't done a minute of planks before. I have done one minute and wanted to push myself.


The cat has the right idea.
Let me know in the comments if you are taking on the challenge and keep me updated. I will probably have a halfway update post and a finisher update post. I realize some days will be harder than others.

7 comments:

  1. OK, so we are supposed to hold the plank for 30 seconds and repeat that 10 times for a total of 5 minutes, then do that twice a day for a grand total of 10 minutes. Have I got that right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one point, you were an Engineer. I'm not sure what happened to you and your math. Doubling up on 30 seconds will still be five minutes.

      Delete
  2. OK, I'm getting off this computer right now and going for some planking. I'll let you know if I end up like that elephant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will be fine. Let me know how you did. It's hard. I'm up to three minutes of planks.

      Delete
  3. I did a plank challenge last year to build my way up to 5 minutes. I made it, but it is one of those things that you have to keep working at, as I am back down to 2 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's hard for sure. Some days, I just don't want to continue on, but it's been great having a friend do it with me. We constantly text our progress and completions, which keeps me in check.

      Delete
  4. Hey, that's awesome! Even if you did just a minute day is something. We have been going strong and making it happen everyday. I hope you keep it up and let me know how it's going.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.