Tuesday, June 17, 2014

8 Mile Training Run in England

Because we got to England a week earlier than our marathon, we had to fit in some training runs before the big day. On Sunday, I planned an 8 mile run before we headed off to Liverpool. JL and Ray agreed to come out running with me and to test out JL's knee. Jim picked the route to Tadcaster, which was roughly 4 miles there and 4 miles back. It did lose some paths for runners forcing us to cross the street a few times, but it had less cars and it was way more beautiful. Plus, it was just nice to go a different route since we always bike (and I run) towards town.
I stretch before each run.

We walked to the main street of his town and started to run. Since JL trained with intervals of 5 minutes run, 1 minute walk, we decided as a group to do it that way. I mean I used to do those type of intervals anyways.
Jim drove ahead in his car stopping a long the way to take pictures of us in preparation for what he will do on the big marathon day.
This is early on still smiling and having fun.

I was being goofy when I saw Jim.
Since I wasn't listening to my music via headphones, I held out the phone for everyone to hear the music. The song that got JL moving just a teensy bit faster was Eye of the Tiger.
I held up my phone playing Eye of the Tiger to get us all pumped.
Come on Ray, catch up!
This is my favorite running shot EVER. Thanks to Jim for capturing us focused, running, and with beautiful scenery.


I had to take a picture of the beautiful yellow flower fields. I can't get enough of them.

Aren't English bridges so pretty?
We started getting close to Tadcaster, because the soccer fields were filling up with kids and people. We had to cross streets several times to avoid the big groups of kids, with their parents in tow carrying coolers and seats. One lady was starting her bootcamp class and said hi to us.

On a side note, I noticed the British do not say Hello. I mostly hear Hi, but drawn out. It's very interesting. Maybe it's a Yorkshire thing.

But we finally made it into town. Jim told me to take a left somewhere and then we would be in Tadcaster and can officially turn around to head home. It seemed so easy when he said it, but I didn't get it. We went a little farther into town, but thankfully, Jim came to our rescue. At this point, I had to go to the bathroom really bad and of course, nothing is open early on a Sunday or on Sunday at all for that matter.

We made it to Tadcaster.
He was waiting for us to cross the bridge.
And then it was a mad search for a restroom. Thankfully, there was a public restroom at the train station. But I have to say that it was by far the weirdest bathroom I have ever entered. It was all automatic. The doors slid open and then you kind of drop down like an elevator. As the doors closed, I told Jim that if I don't return in 30 minutes, then please get help. The bathroom talked to me the entire time in English, Chinese, Spanish, and something else. I had to push a button to get toilet paper out, but it only gave me one sheet at a time. I washed my hands the best I could in this automatic trough looking thing. And then I had to push a button to tell the elevator/door thing to let me out. That was an experience and I wished I had taken video or photos or something (not of me going to the bathroom obviously, but you get my point).  

We saw this pretty church on the way into town and JL was dead set on visiting it. I was okay with this, because it really was beautiful. She also decided that she would not be running back and returning by car with Jim, because her knee was hurting pretty bad. In fact, it was hurting during the run. So, I expected this.

Some of these graves were from 1400.

Ray talking to JL about leaving her to run back with me. She obviously wasn't happy, but that could have been the quitter comment he made earlier!

Like I said in the photo caption, Ray decided to run back with me. We changed up the intervals to run 1 mile and walk 1 minute. On the way back, we had less people, because the kids were now playing their respective sport. Although, we did get stuck behind this girl with a very see through tight skirt. It was not pleasant to observe for the couple of minutes we couldn't get around her.

Ray checking out the sheep on the run back.
According to Runtastic, this was our total time and mileage. Although, I didn't restart the time right away and why I called this post an 8 mile run.
I was super happy to get this run in before we started our trek to Liverpool and France. I felt strong and confident about my marathon. Plus, I enjoyed the company and the beautiful surroundings. Oh how I love to run in England.


  1. If I lived in a place with scenery like that, I would have no problem getting out the door to go! Haha! That old church is gorgeous. That's amazing that the tombs are that old!

  2. The tradeoff is that it rains A LOT! Check out my post about running in rain there. http://runkwrun.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-introduction-to-english-rain.html


Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.