11 1/2 was my favorite age.
My life has been pretty much all water these last couple of weeks (even bought a one piece swimsuit and goggles), because of my back. Yeah...it went back out again after the Viva La Run. It's not as bad as last time, but it is not run ready. I've done everything I can to get it back in to shape, including:
- Sports Massages (two to be exact) by the wonderful hand Goddess, Kirsten Hardmant at Total Kinetics
- FOAM ROLLING FOAM ROLLING FOAM ROLLING on my glutes and quads
- Epsom Salt Baths...oh yeah
- Virtual Personal Training designed by workoutnirvana.com (on my second week and feel everything improving and getting stronger), which focuses on strengthening my back and shoulders and glutes
- Hot tub time and swimming (see post here about all of my tips for back recovery)
- Water Aerobics
I'm finally using a proper swimming pool at L.A. Fitness instead of my apartment pool. I'm not sure the length, because no one seems to know. I typically go 3-4 times a week. I get in the hot tub for 20-30 minutes and then immediately swim laps in the pool for 20 minutes. I have mostly done breast stroke and backwards swimming without the stroke. However, last week, I decided to try some freestyle. WHOA! That is a workout. I didn't last long, but I'm keeping at it. I'm working on building my endurance to do 30 minutes switching between breaststroke and freestyle. My goal is to get to 45 minutes within a month.
I also participated in water aerobics three times. It is not for old ladies anymore. In fact, the younger crowd outnumbers the older ladies there. I definitely burned some calories in those classes. Last Monday, I decided to go again. We had a new teacher from kickboxing. Her idea of us resting was to wade in the pool. It was a lot of work and I felt it when it ended. I highly recommend going.
Are there any helpful suggestions for not smelling like chlorine all the time?
My marathon training starts this week and I'm attempting my first run today since the Viva run. Wish me luck!
I also joined Healthy Living Blogs to get more insight for a healthy living life and connect with other bloggers like myself. If you have a healthy living blog whether it's swimming, running, or eating right, come join.