Wednesday, June 5, 2013


This post will be in three sections.

First, I want to say that my heart goes out to everyone at the Houston Fire Department Memorial held out Reliant today. It's a somber day in Houston History. We have never had this many killed or injured in one day at one fire. Houston has never had a memorial like this before. However, it's amazing how many fire departments from around the nation and Canada are here; fire departments from Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas have come out to mann the departments so that all of HFD can be at the memorial. If you would like to donate to help the families, please donate to the local 100 Club. I have.

Second, I want to say Happy National Running Day. I will get to the details about my run last night a little bit later in this post. If you have a chance, get out there and run. It doesn't have to be long distances or always running (I'm not). You can run 0.25 miles if you want to as long as you get out there and do it. This could be the start of something great for you...that thing that motivates you to exercise or to train for that 5k you never thought possible.

With that, I run to train for my first ever marathon. My run tonight will be memorable (slightly miserable run), because I will participate with the Houston Striders (first time due to all of the injuries) on a run at Memorial Park at 6:30 p.m. And this guy is leading may remember him...he came in 4th at the London Olympics Marathon.

Source: Meb Keflezighi
It will be big party and all donations go to One Fund Boston. I can't wait. My plan is to run at least a mile and then walk the rest (more on that later). So, come out and join me.

Last but not least, I want to talk about my run last night with Luke's Locker called Viva La Run. It was only $15, which included a shirt, margarita, and a taco. The money went to fund new bike and running trails for Buffalo Bayou. Brooks was there with new shoes to try. Unfortunately, I didn't get over there.

I was back and forth about this run. I wanted to run it badly, but I wanted to run the National Running Day Memorial Park run more. I started feeling the throat and sniffles...oh great sickness. Then, I worried about if my body could actually handle back to back three mile runs (the run tonight is supposed to be 3-6 miles). Probably against my better judgement, I went to the run. The location was at this new craft beer bar and restaurant called Local Pour. Concidentally, my friend's husband works there. Since registration was at 6:30 p.m., I figured there would be lots more people at that time and no where to park. So, I parked at my mom's house and had her drop me off. I was wrong. Lesson learned.

In front of the Local Pour; it's a really cool place. I can't wait to go back and try everything.
But the race was not really at the Local Pour; it was actually on Allen Parkway. So, we walked over there to start the race. I never run over here, which sucks. This area is absolutely beautiful.
I met a really nice girl, Kimberly on my walk over. She got me excited about the Kenyan Way Boot Camp that I have been wishy washy about trying. She took this picture.
Finally, the race started. I was slow...very slow...again. Oh well. I took my time and hung out on the right side of the pavement. Wow! These paths are paved and full of beautiful surroundings like this gem below.

I'm not sure why the trunks are blue, but it was really cool. I wonder if they light up at night.
At one point, I ran over a bridge that I swear bounced and was soft. I'm not sure if I was just overheating or what, but it was weird and cool at the same time.

This run was hard for me. It was still hot and sunny, which meant that my energy would go quickly if I'm sick. There were ups and downs and it was all pavement. Since I cleared myself on the back injury, I have only ran on gravel type running paths. Pavement hurts, alot in fact. I felt my back pains with every step, especially after the turnaround. So, I walked more and more and definitely up hills. When I got to the last bridge at the very end, I messed with my earphones or something (can't remember). Anyways, I tripped on the uneven part of the bridge and caught myself just in time. I didn't wipe out, but I managed to inflame all of my back muscles that were already hurting. It wasn't good. So, I limped my way to the end to no one there to greet me home. I was part of the last group (but by no means last).

On the walk back to the Local Pour, I met Joan from Luke's Locker and Becca. I had fun chatting with them and made my painful walk back that much better. When I got to the bar, all I wanted was water and they were out of tacos. I didn't care to have a margarita and gave my ticket away to someone. But I was still hungry. Well, my parents were at California Pizza Kitchen waiting for me to finish. Problem solved, belly full.

Overall, it was a good run, but I paid for it. I'm still running tonight, but like I said, my plan is to only run a mile. I did get a sports massage today at my lunch break by the wonderful Kirsten Hardmant at Total Kinetics. She alleviated a great deal of the pain, but it's not 100%. It will at least help in tonight's run. I highly recommend her!

Wish me luck tonight that I not only survive the run, but maybe just maybe, I will get a picture with Meb (or at least a closer picture of him).


  1. Oops! I missed running on Nat'l. Running Day! (must say I didn't know) Hope you got a good view of Meb. It's nice to have so many fun, different kinds of running experiences to keep things interesting while you train! Keep up the good work.

    1. I had a great view and I got to meet him. I should have that post up tonight or tomorrow. Not sure.

      And thank you.

  2. I love to read about your running experiences. I read the next post first so I know you and Meb are like besties ;)

    1. Thanks Freya. Yeah, I"m gonna call him and tell him you said that...he will laugh and laugh and laugh. LOL!


Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.