Sunday, January 13, 2013

I've Gotta Feeling...I'M BACK

My cast was removed on Tuesday. I was cleared to run as long as I wore the brace for protection. What's next? RUN! But when? Saturday! No matter what, I would run on Saturday. Then, I got sick and worried that Saturday wouldn't happen. I fixed up my ipod running playlist anyways the night before to get ready for Saturday (hating the new sucky itunes 11.0). And then the day came. I was feeling fine. I put on my running clothes, hooked up my ipod, laced up my running shoes (oh you feel so good), and headed out the door.

I decided against wearing my running watch. I just wanted to run.

I walked for a bit to get warmed up since it's been awhile. As soon as I got on to the main street, I picked up the pace for a nice slow run. A smile immediately formed on my face. I couldn't believe I was running again. It felt so good. I gotta feeling...I'M BACK!


It was hard, but I persevered through it. Okay, it wasn't as tough as what the marathoners are dealing with today...cold, wind, and rain, but it still was tough after a long road back AGAIN.

My plan was to run to the stop light, but the song was still going. I didn't want to walk at all. So, I kept running to the third stop light before I stopped for a walk. Wow! After five weeks of no running or any exercise, I was pretty happy that I ran that much without stopping. Whether you are in to using music or not as a running tool, music does pump me up. I hate running without it unless I'm running with a partner so I can talk to that person. Of course, I run with only one ear phone not on the ear facing the street and I keep the music low. You have to practice safety when listening to music when running.

A couple of months ago, I found a website called runhundred.com. About once or twice a week, I get an email with a list of music that the site has compiled for your running playlist. You can vote on whether or not this is a good running or exercising song. I have downloaded songs based on their list; songs that I would have never thought to add. Well, they came out with Run Hundred 1 and 2 CDs. It's on itunes right now; I maybe didn't like two or three songs. These are songs that I have never heard of before. For instance, I loved when this song, Cool in a Cool Way, came on my ipod. Who doesn't love lyrics like I have fantasies about dark socks?


If you are looking for some inspiration, check out the website or go listen to the CDs on itunes.

During the run, I had to watch out for puddles and mud (not to be confused with the band, Puddle of Mud), but overall it was a good run. I have no idea how long it took me to run the estimated 1.5 mile loop around my apartment. I didn't have my watch nor did I check the time when I left or came back. I just jumped straight in to the shower, which felt so good, too.

So, I sit here on my couch sore from yesterday's run and watching the Chevron Marathon today. Congrats to everyone that ran in it! I'm so proud of you, especially since the weather was so awful.

15 comments:

  1. Nice to see you're on track - very excited to be meeting you at the Yorkshire marathon in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to be meeting you, too. You will probably be way too fast for me. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you are back running. Congrats, I'm sure it did feel good. Run KW Run! And thanks for adding my blog to your site. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to support the fellow Texas Runner Bloggers.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the comeback. The song has been the theme song--or so it seems--for the past few Akron Marathons. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a really great pump you up type of song for running even though it's talking going out for the epic party.

      Delete
  4. Ahh, so glad you're back. Doesn't that feel so so good? About as good as that shower after a run! :) Here's to more of those good runs ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. Yes, that shower felt good.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on getting back in your running shoes. Thanks for the music website tip and for adding my website to your blog list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I found that site a while back. It's hit or miss on the site, but that CD was great.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the comment on my blog today!
    Congrats on getting back to running! I hope I'm as excited as you are when I finally get my mojo back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you have injury after injury after injury after sickness and you are forced to not run pretty much all of the year (I think the longest I ran last year was 6 miles), then you tend to get excited about the little things. I'm sure you will feel it. Just take a break. It doesn't have to be a bad one. Or coming running with me. I think I saw you live in Houston.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done on getting the running shoes back on!
    I've been reading through your previous years' posts and noticed that you've spent a lot of time injured! Back when I had meniscal tear on my right knee I thought I'd never run again without being operated, but all I needed was a good running coach who helped me with my posture and technique..
    It might be a good idea to avoid any nasties over the next year!
    Good luck with it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ha! Most of my injuries have been non-running related (string of bad luck), except for two. I broke my wrist falling down a steep hill (could have done that when not on a running event) and well, I just recently found out that my mysterious foot thing is running related. However, I think that might have to do with the fact that I have had arthritis in my foot. Still trying to find that out. My two surgeries had nothing to do with running...I rolled my ankle jumping out of a truck and well, I had tummy surgery for something else.

      But I have joined the Houston Striders to help me get to the next level.

      Delete
    2. hehe, I guess you can't get trained against clumsiness.. :P
      Hopefully this year you'll spend more time on your feet than on your back! :D

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.