Saturday, November 9, 2013

Upcoming Races for KW

Well, I'm not going to let the fact that I had to miss my first marathon again get me down, even if I paid for it already. I'm also not going to even let this darn foot thing get me down, because I'm officially in normal tennis shoes now for the next two weeks. I can see the end of this last obstacle in sight.

Woohoo! Two Shoes People...TWO. SHOES.
And then, I'm free to do what I want when I want.


But I'm really talking about running. 

So, now it was time to put this year's bad stuff aside and pick my marathon. I did a great deal of research on available marathons in the Spring vs. how long I can do my training vs. where I will be hanging out. My friend Helen mentioned the Edinburgh Marathon to me a month or two a go and I considered it. I mean it was right around my birthday (two days in fact), I will be in England about that time, and it's during England's bank holiday time and Memorial Day for us Americans. I was still undecided, but then I jokingly mentioned the marathon to my other friend JL. In a surprise chess move, she said, "Sure!" I gave her the information and then a couple of weeks later, I registered. 

So, it's official. I am signed up to run the EMF Edinburgh Marathon Festival on May 25, 2014.


JL registered and then she registered her husband. Sometimes, I think she forced him, but she assures me that she didn't. I immediately wrote Helen an email to let her know that good news and she was totally excited. 

We all picked our expected finish times of 4 hours, 17 minutes. This will be a fast time for me, but I wanted a better chance of all three of us (and hopefully Helen, too) getting in the same corral. I also found out after I signed up that we are not allowed to use music players. So, I'm going to need some people to talk to during the marathon or I may go insane. And now, I'm going to have to train without music, too. Well, maybe. I mean, I trained with music and didn't even use it during the half marathon. So, who knows. 

And to jumpstart my exercise, I also registered last night for two other races, both of which will be ran with my running partner extraordinaire, Sara.
  • Total Jingle Bell 5 Mile Run on December 15, 2013, which will be a nice holiday burn some calories run before my epic holiday extravaganza trip to England for two weeks. I'm pushing myself a bit with five miles, but the 5k involves the runners and walkers. I don't want to deal with that crowd like the Turkey Tot last year.
  • And the mother of all runs (which might be as important as the marathon) is The Duck Dash 5k, with Duck Dynasty's Jep Roberston through Minute Maid Park on February 15, 2014. We get beards and a bandana with our registration and Sara and I are searching for some awesome cameo gear for the run. She found some awesome shorts, but they may be too cold to wear during February. I think my mom might be more excited for me to run this than I am until she found out that Si won't be there.
  • I'm also going to register for the Woodlands Half, March 1, 2014, with Sara, of course. It's the perfect time for my half in my training series and she has ran it before with Kris. 

Plus, I have lots of biking fun coming up, including HTX BikeFest next Saturday, November 16, 2013, at Market Square Downtown (10 a.m.-6 p.m.), November's Critical Mass, December's Karbach Bruise Cruise, December's Taco Ride, and any other bike rides I find along the way. 

So, that's my plan for the upcoming months leading up to and running in my marathon. I hope to see you out there for support. I know Jim would like the company since he will be lonely for the four hours cheering for me in Scotland. I mean it IS a great vacation idea. I do plan to tour some Scotch distilleries for my birthday on that Friday. 

I added this picture of Tucker just because...he just sat there like this for 10 minutes.

12 comments:

  1. Running a marathon in Edinburgh sounds awesome! Hopefully this one turns out great for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison. Me, too. This will be my fourth attempt to run my first marathon.

      Delete
  2. Let the record show I warned you about snow in Scotland in May.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures from last year showed no snow

      Delete
  3. I have plenty of camo, including a hoodie!!! Also a knit hat (which you will probably need). Maybe you should plan to wear it for the Edinburgh marathon, if it works for the Duck thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray your foot heals soon! how exciting it is to have all of these races to look forward to. you rock my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cintia. Soon, I will be able to run with you. And if you want to join me on any fun races, just let me know.

      Delete
  5. Beth, sorry, I accidentally deleted your post. Thankfully, I had it on my email still to copy.

    Wow! Not that is a very cool goal! Interesting they don't allow music. Have you heard of that before? Maybe you should train with your own singing...just in case you aren't near friends to talk with. Just kidding. I know I can't run and sing at the same time. Better start finding some plaid running attire! Sounds you have lots to look forward to!

    Actually, I'm noticing alot of the European races and a few American ones prohibiting music players. I think they have the roads blocked off and it's not an issue. I will deal with it...I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you are welcome to come to Edinburgh. It would be great to meet you and support me. It will be my birthday the Friday before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edinburgh is a GREAT marathon! You will love it. And honestly - maybe I sound like a curmudgeon here - but you shouldn't race with an iPod. There's a whole lot of atmosphere, of participation with the crowds, that you miss when you're zoning out with your iPod. You also don't engage with the other runners - you'll be surprised who you strike up a convo with while running. And by mile 22 you get to the nitty gritty straight away. Trust me - you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good point. This is my first marathon and I want to experience it all. And I will have my friends there with me to keep me company. I typically don't have my music playing when I run with friends.


      Maybe you can come out and support me!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.