Friday, September 6, 2013

It's a Workout Nirvana

Sometime in April or May, I thought about going to the Fitbloggin Conference in Portland and began looking up roommates. I stumbled upon Suzanne. We formed an email friendship. Unfortunately, I just couldn't make the conference, but I found out that Suzanne is a Virtual Personal Trainer. Her wonderful site is called Workout Nirvana. Isn't that a catchy name? Yeah, I thought so, too.

I made it a big goal of mine to strengthen my back after the initial injury, but I couldn't start right away. She was patient with me and then finally, I signed up for the six weeks program when my back felt great. I looked at all the packages and decided on the one for $150. This included a 30 minute Skype session to talk about personal goals and where my body was at, unlimited email interaction, the program itself, and food and nutrition help. There are other packages for cheaper, but this one suited my needs. I knew I would be a needy client!

After the Skype session, she got my program ready within a week and I was good to start. She sent me a Clean Eating Guide, Workout Guide and the Exercise Guide, and all of my worksheets for each week. Suzanne had links to how to do the exercises (properly) and encouraged me to join her youtube playlist and create my own playlist. The exercise links came in handy when I just couldn't remember what to do for that day.

My program was for three days a week focusing on back strengthening and stability; one day was arms heavy and one day was legs heavy. I also had a warmup and a cooldown, which I thought was important. Each program will vary depending on the person and his or her goals.

At the end of each week, I would send her my completed worksheets so she can evaluate what I did or maybe ones that were difficult. What I loved about Suzanne was that I could email her at any time to say that this exercise didn't work for me and she immediately came up with replacements. When the doctor said that he didn't want me doing squats or lunges, she was ready with new ones that were just as effective. She would get on to me about my diet, but not in a way to make me feel bad. She would get on to me about trying too hard to fast. For instance, I felt like the warmups were too easy when I started, but she said they are just supposed to warm you up. Suzanne always found a balance between not letting me walk all over her and not being too drill sergeant about things where I was discourage to continue.  In the process, she became a friend and I now look forward to talking to her about mundane life stuff. I can't promise you that the same connection will happen, because I'm pretty awesome, but it could.

I saw improvements after a week or two by being able to lift 10lbs instead of just 5lbs or 5lbs instead of no lbs. I felt stronger and signed up for Phase 2. Unfortunately, my back took another tumble through no fault of her exercises; it was a combination of things, including me getting too aggressive too quickly. We even talked about plans for a workout, while I'm down for my surgery. Yes, you read that right...surgery for me again on October 2 to remove the bunion on my other foot. I'm not looking forward it since it was the most painful recovery that I have ever experienced, but it has to be done. I will need some encouragement!

Anyways, I totally recommend Suzanne at Workout Nirvana. Plus, I really love her blog posts.

Have you ever tried a virtual personal trainer program? I loved this program the best. It worked for my crazy schedule.

Have you tried a regular trainer? I have tried them at the gym, but I feel like they are too pushy as if they can be salesmen. Although, sometimes, it is nice to have someone there to count so I can focus on breathing.

Random question...how do you get your dog to bring the ball all the way back when he is 10 years old, never really played before, and can get barky? Also, encouragement doesn't work and neither does just waiting there until he brings the ball to me.

12 comments:

  1. Wow. I am totally humbled by this Kristi. Thank you. I seriously get so much satisfaction from watching you work so proactively towards your ultimate goal. You're open-minded and follow your program and you work hard. So glad we connected via that unlikely, didn't-quite-happen Fitbloggin plan! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem. I think I may see a conflict with your Flying Saucer program, but then, all things in moderation - including moderation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I got it all worked out! If you exercise, you can drink!

      Delete
  3. Glad you worked it out with your Clean Eating Guide to drink...but what about grasshoppers? (as in the edible insect, not the drink)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well grasshoppers are low I calories and higher in protein. So we are good.

      Delete
  4. No answers on the dog issue - my puppy doesn't like to return it. He likes to fight me for it. WHatever. It's a wet ball anyway....

    Re PT - well I am a PT and I'm so glad to hear that your program is really working for you. I've had a number of coaches (though never a PT) and think that you just need to find that "click" - like you, I like to get close and personal with my coach and my coach lets me do just that - she often talks me down from the ledge and sorts me out. But it's a really personal thing. I'm really conscious of not being pushy and so I am almost the opposite. It works - people call me 2 years after talking to me.

    Hope all's good - thumbs down to the surgery, though! Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Petra. I had to back off from the training program and now I'm just doing biking, walking and swimming to get this back in order. It's been a rough four months.

      Yes, surgery sucks. I can't believe I'm having it again. GRRR!

      Delete
  5. Kristi, glad to hear you found such a wonderful and effective trainer! It's good to know virtual training is just as good as in-person.

    I'm sorry to hear about your back and your upcoming surgery. How long will you be off your feet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would recommend it if you have the discipline.

      Back is still not 100%, but it's definitely better. I will be off my feet for at least 6-8 weeks. Last time, it took me almost 4 weeks to get off crutches, but my foot was far worse. I'm hoping it won't be this long.

      Delete
  6. Hi Kristi! I've never tried a virtual program since I found out it's less effective for me. I always find an excuse not to do it. Good to know it's effective for you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Yes, I should mentioned how this program only works if you make it work, but I forgot. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but if you want to ever give it a try, try workout nirvana.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.