Monday, August 19, 2013

The Environment is Totally Key

Since I haven't been running due to this back, I have done a great deal of other exercises to occupy my time. One of those exercises include walking and my baby boy Remington is reaping the benefits. I take 30 minute walks and the last few days have been 60 minute walks. It's been awesome.

So, what's up with the post title?

Sorry for the poor quality, but this was perfect. See it here at http://youtu.be/s316C5vbOnM

One of my biggest pet peeves (besides drivers who use the fast lane as a time to catch up on their cheeseburgers and phone calls) is littering. I hate it. I don't know if it's our Texas campaign that has been ingrained in to me since I was a kid.

Source* Don't Mess With Texas Litter Campaign
Or it could also be that living in Singapore as a young girl had a greater affect on me than I ever knew or expected. It's the one place I know that makes littering a big deal...like a really big deal. It's a much bigger punishment and makes our "up to $10,000 fine" a joke. I wouldn't even spit out my gum there.  

During my walks with Remi, I take a large grocery bag with me to pick up poop. On my street, there is so much litter from the medical people parking over there to the construction workers to the homeless walking by to even other dog walkers that drop bags of poop. And the worst part is when my dog finds food, sometimes it is covered with ants. Does he care? No. One day, he may learn.

I remembered reading about how to be green during our runs and that was mentioned to pick up some trash along the way. I haven't ever done that before. So, on one of those walking days last week, I decided to pick up piece of paper and then a plastic water bottle and then a cigarette butt and then a beer can. Yes, there are tons of beer cans all over the place. Yesterday, I found a broken beer bottle. 

I kept on picking up litter until my bag was full. I may not have made a dent (more trash showed up the next day), but I felt good to get what little I could off of the streets. 

This is just one trip.
I decided to do it on the next walk and then the next and then the next. I just kept picking up litter. I couldn't pick it all up; I draw the line on napkins, underwear, condoms, and any medical waste for obvious reasons. I think people might start calling me the Trash Lady or something. I did have a guy honk at me, but I do get that a lot, especially when I'm picking up poop. It's weird. I mean, your honk is not going to get me in to your car.

Sorry, I got sidetracked. 

My next challenge for you is that when you take a walk, do something good for the planet and pick up some trash. I know it's hard when we run...so pick up some trash when you are doing the walk part of your run. I know it's hard when you are biking, but maybe pick something up, while you are waiting for the light to turn green. Just get out there and help.

Okay, here are some awesome pictures from my walks with Remi. Yeah, I used Instagram on some of the pictures...don't judge me.










19 comments:

  1. well done you.
    I hope I don't count as some trash you picked up
    JIm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog KW....I feel that the Texas slogan has also been embedded into my brain...which is a good thing, and the slogan sounds tough, especially here in France....hahaha just curious, what are some of the repercussions for littering in Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds tough everywhere you go! I was there so long ago, but I believe it was caning (to be hit with a cane) and/or possibly some prison time. I can't remember exactly which one.

      Delete
  3. You mean "Don't mess with Texas" is about trash?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a lot of trash. Keep up the good work and hopefully others around your neighborhood will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that was a small bag in the picture. I hope so, too, but I doubt it. Way too much trash everywhere.

      Delete
  5. What a nice suggestion! If everybody did that, the world would be a cleaner place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. It doesn't take much to grab one of the grocery sacks along with you on a run or walk or bike. You can tie up to a belt loop or a handle bar or even your wrist. You can also stuff it down a pocket.

      Delete
  6. That is an impressive trash photo...followed by some really nice evening photos! Sorry you have to put up with a little honking now and then. But I can't help but think you're making a few people think when they see you picking up trash. That could be doing as much good as picking up the trash. Thanks for reminding us to pitch in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so or I'm just confusing people. I often wonder what people are thinking when they see me picking up the trash.

      Yes, everyone should pitch in...haven't heard that in a while.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Freya and yes, it would be better if everyone just did their part. I did a big group ride (my next post is coming, I swear) where I will mention how I saw people just riding by dumpster and yet chunking their cans down on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you picking up litter, that's pretty cool. I'm from Texas as you know and I still have a "Don't Mess With Texas" glass. Too bad no one's listening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the page layout of
    your website? Its very well written; I love
    what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it
    better. Youve got an awful lot of text for
    only having one or 2 images. Maybe you could space it out better?


    Here is my web site - ข่าว

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the review and I will look at my layout. It might be harder on mobile. I'm also moving to wordpress, but I haven't done the full transition yet. However, I'm not sure about the only two images comment. I have eight pictures on this post and a video.

      Delete
  10. Good for you - at home it was a 'be a tidy kiwi' campaign, but if everyone picked up their own litter we wouldn't have the problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very cool. And you are right...if more people just picked up after themselves, we wouldn't have to worry about litter campaigns at all.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.