Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Running with The Cause in Mind

On Monday afternoon, I landed upon a horoscope site and this is what I read.
Apr 9 - 15, 2012

Weekly Wellness Horoscope for Gemini

Presented by Horoscope.com
Sharing your warm, sunny nature will bring you better health. With a focus on your relationship zone, it's time to work in tandem with your partner to create a routine you can do together. You may also decide to buy some exercise equipment for the home. Do what works for you and be happy.

This was seriously spooky. Earlier that morning, Jim and I decided to do a transatlantic competition to lose 20 lbs (although, he loses 25 lbs with his height and weight). The first one to lose, wins. For some reason, we don't win an actual prize, but the competition is ON like DONKEY KONG.


My starter weight is 154 lbs...yes, I know. I'm just waddling through life trying to figure out what went wrong. Oh wait....I know what went wrong. I had surgery on my foot and instead of being responsible about my nutrition, I said, "Screw it! I want me some cookays." Okay, it wasn't that bad, but you get my point. 


So, we immediately got started. Jim braved the cold, miserable, and rainy English weather to ride around 13  miles on his bike twice this week already. I ate 2 cookies on Tuesday and a cupcake on Wednesday. Things are looking up for me. 


Okay, it wasn't THAT bad. I actually really took an effort on what I ate since I knew that I wasn't going to be able to exercise until Wednesday. I even deliberately put brown rice on my plate instead of white rice. This is a first time for me. Go me. Also, I have done 50 crunches, 2 sets of 30 second bicycle crunches, and 2 sets of 30 second planks (4 sets of 25 second planks on Tuesday only). But yeah, that's pretty much it. 


And then today happened. I've had one of those days where you feel like everyone is speaking really good Russian, while you are trying to speak Swahili really bad. I got home and just wanted a beer. A beer is what I had and felt just a smidge better. However, I needed to do more. I mean, Jim is really trying and I'm just sitting on the chair drinking a beer and munching on some bon bons. Okay, not really bons bons. 


I put on my shoes and headed to Hermann Park for a run sans Remington. When I got there, I noticed that I put on my Columbia walking shoes that look like sneakers instead of my running shoes. Well, wouldn't you know it. My first thought, "This is okay. Don't freak out. You were going to run in these shoes in England. So, maybe this is a good thing to try it out." Plus, it seemed to give me more support on my ankle. So, I got my ipod ready and started walking in the direction of the 1.98 mile loop to TikTok. I decided to walk the whole song since I wasn't sure how these shoes were going to do once I started running. 


The next song came on and I picked up the pace. I immediately noticed that my calves hurt, because these shoes aren't made for running. I ran all the way around and stopped somewhere after the Pagoda. I didn't really want to stop, but the shoes didn't give me the ankle support that I liked. It actually made my ankle really hurt. I walked for one song and then picked up the pace when the next song came blasting through the earphones. I ran the entire way around and when LMFAO's I'm sexy and I know it came, I smiled. This is Haley and I's running song. I pushed thoughts of my ankle aside and picked up the pace to finish out my run. I love that song...wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle. I walked back to the car and headed home. Soon, I will be able to bike up there on my new bike. Yeah, that's right, I got a bike. Ok, really. I begged my parents over and over again to lend me their bike for awhile since they didn't use it. They obliged.


Anyways, that was my run. I was disappointed that nobody seemed to notice my really cool HOU DAT Texans shirt, but I still ran. I also have to decide whether I'm going to actually run in England and France or just bike for my exercise. I won't be able to bring both pairs of tennis shoes and obviously, the Columbia's are not for running. Any thoughts? 


Also, tomorrow, I am going to run...with Remi. And I'm not taking it easy on him. He's running the full loop and he will like it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.