Saturday, February 1, 2014

Karbach Running Club

Karbach Brews Running Club kicked off their first running event Last Thursday night, January 30, 2014, at 5:45 p.m. (well, we didn't really start until 6 p.m.). Karbach has really stepped up in the Houston exercise community with their Karbach Brews Cruise and now this! Since I had such a fabulous time biking with the Karbach bike team, I couldn't pass this up at all.

On a side note, I'm loving the fact that my city is starting to become a biking and running type of city. Yes, we are having major problems between the cyclists and drivers, but we are working on it. I'm also loving that there are more and more breweries in and around the Houston area.

The 3 mile-ish run starts at the brewery around 6 p.m. every Thursday evening and then ends with a cold Karbach beer. Um...YES PLEASE. It only costs $10 to join the club and you get a shirt after five runs. I love free stuff and I loved the bike shirts, so I'm sure it will be really cool.

I met my friend Joanne up there and we ended up meeting new people whom I'm hoping to add to my running friends list. Too funny, but Joanne and I realized at the same time talking to a new person that we met at the brews cruise. So, that's another positive nod in Karbach's direction; helping us meet new friends.

Finally, it was time to start running. Adam announced the path and I wished I listened better, because I completely forgot later on when I dropped back with the slower runners.

Must remember that everyone will probably leave me and I will need to know how to get back.  
We started out heading towards 290, which is a very busy freeway even at 6 p.m. We got stuck at alot of lights at the beginning and I lost Joanne early on in the run. However, the run was relatively easy and nice paced. I even met up with my other friend, Miguel and we ran the whole time together. It was nice having him there to pace with me.

At the end, I couldn't remember where we turned off since we went passed the brewery, but some nice ladies took the lead from me and we sort of followed other people. Eventually, we made it back to the brewery and they had a finish line for us runners to cross. How cool was that? But the best part about the run was getting a free beer and pint glass. Even better since Joanne couldn't drink that night and gave me her free beer. Woohoo!
Adam telling us to go take a picture.
Check out Miguel. I hope to do many more runs with him, because he has my pace. 
While taking a picture of Miguel, somehow I was volunteered to take the photo of the group. I didn't think my iphone was that great, but it did its' job. And I got in the picture, too. 
Thank you Joanne and Miguel for a great run. 
We met Bob who gave us advice on triathlons (we are so doing this) and about a bike ride next month hosted by another Houston brewery called No Label. 

This was a great little run for my Thursday evening marathon training (oh you didn't know I started my marathon training...fo shame) even though it wasn't a full 3 miles; it was 2.80 miles. I had just under a 10 minute mile the first mile, but that didn't last. All in all, I can't wait for next week and have officially added it into my marathon training. My only complaint is that this is at 6 p.m. off of 290. I'm hoping that during the summer months, they will move the time up so it won't be so hot and easier for us to get there.



By the way, if you haven't registered or donated for the Quadraman, you still have one week left. Don't miss out in this inexpensive run for a good cause. And don't forget, we have a virtual run option, as well. Register at https://tix.extremetix.com/Online/?siteID=3627&eventID=44905 or donate at https://tix.extremetix.com/Online/?siteID=3627&eventID=47038. If you are donating to help a registered runner raise funds, then place their name in the Ticket Holder Name field.

5 comments:

  1. Man you have fun out there, Kristi! And that was a darn good group shot with the cell phone...at night! Must have been a breeze running without a tutu! Not nearly as festive though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the tutu makes for better flair, but much easier to run in shorts.

      Delete
  2. Oh you are missing out. A cold beer after a run is probably the best beer I have ever had in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this - running and biking with a brewery! perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a great idea. I love what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond shortly.